Thursday 21 January 2016

The ineffective use of kittens.

Good for them.  I'm going back to bed.
Now, I want to have a little word about the difference between worry and anxiety.  Chiefly, all those 'life is too short to worry' pictures with happy kittens watching the sunset do not inspire people with anxiety.  Also, worrying is natural, so the kitten can shut up.

As far as I can tell (and I've not referred to the all knowing Google about this) worry takes up your thoughts; people who are more inclined to be worriers spend time thinking around the issues and distraction, counting to ten and seeking out a good listener can really help.

Anxiety on the other hand comes from a deeper place than the conscious mind.

Descriptions of the anxiety I experience are usually met with comments like 'but you seem so together?' 'you don't seem nervous when you talk on stage?' 'you seem so confident!'.  All those things are true, and have nothing to do with my struggle with anxiety.

Well I must be special then, cos I lose a LOT.  Stupid lion.
One way to describe it might be to say that my consciousness has two levels.  Ms Rational remains logical and calm, identifying what has caused an anxious reaction and steadily keeps my thoughts in check.  She's the one you'll meet.  That's who is in charge when I am working, doing a spot of public speaking and looking so very together.

Ms Anxious occasionally cranks up the speed and density of my thoughts which start whizzing through my mind, mashing together and blurring so I can't quite catch them.  She amps up my heart rate and makes me feel a tad nauseous and if left to her own devices will get me all shaky and determined that going to bed and hiding is most definitely the best scenario for everyone.  She's a quieter voice, usually and as much as she seems to be able to prompt some clever physical reactions, she is a part of me I have to treat with sensitivity and gentleness as really, she's just looking out for me.  Like my autistic puppy, she's scared of everything.

Ask my dogs, they know you're most likely to get run over.
I first hooked up with my own anxiety when I was 13 and we've been working on our relationship ever since.

For the most part, it is like glimpsing a threat on the periphery of my vision and having a physical response.  I carry on regardless, making sure I find little wins to overcome any negativity that might creep in.  And I go about my business with perhaps a bit more effort than I'd like.

At its worst anxiety makes it very hard work to get through the front door, be in crowds and look at my to do list without feeling overwhelmed.  This is not because I am worrying about those things at all, I know there is nothing to be scared of and that nothing bad will happen.  But anxiety lies deeper than my logic and prompts physical reactions that take more than a good talking to.  (Oh and panic attacks - I haven't had one in a long time but the fear of having one is enough to bring one on.  I know, hilarious.)

What the heck does this MEAN?
We all find coping mechanisms for our struggles.  I have to be very deliberate about some of mine, others have simply evolved as I've grown up.  For example it was only recently when I had a bad day that I noticed I was digging my nails into my hands as I walked through town, and realised that usually I semi-consciously force my hands to unclench and stretch...

But the best way to cope with being someone with anxiety is to recognise that it doesn't make us weak.  That's why the sunset pictures and the pseudo inspirational quotes about being peaceful and calm and worry free and fully mindful about everything everyday get to me.  I don't need to feel guilty that I struggle sometimes.  It does not make me a failure, it does not mean I'm not doing 'living' properly.  Anxious people are unbelievably strong, both on the days we overcome it and on the days we run and hide, and I will not have any kitten tell me otherwise.

Is a peaceful mind an aspiration?  Absolutely.  Would I love to find it easy to come and go, do what I like, face social situations with excitement and jump out of bed each day simply delighted by all the possibilities ahead?  Of course.  But in the meantime I shall mostly be busy being a human, facing my demons, and handling the baggage.

No comments:

Post a Comment